Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

Music to My Ears [13w1d]

I had a mini-breakdown tonight. For the past month, I have been pacified by my Doppler's heart rate reading. (Yes, I was always a bit disappointed, but with a retroverted uterus and a history of early losses, I had to continuously remind myself that something is better than nothing.)

Well, tonight that philosophy failed me. 

I do not know if I freaked out because Hubs and I were set to order the nursery furniture today (using a $400 surprise check we got in the mail earlier this week) or because we are planning on outing ourselves on Facebook on Sunday. Suddenly I did not feel confident doing either of those things. And so I freaked out.

After texting my mother-in-law to see how quickly she could sneak us in for an ultrasound at her hospital, I decided to give the Doppler another go. This time, however, I skipped the official stuff and used some aloe gel we had laying around the house. And what do you know? I heard Nemo's heartbeat! Twice!

I texted my mother-in-law again, and she immediately called wanting to hear it too. (Too bad I had already cleaned up.) I wish we had thought to record it for her, but we will have many more opportunities for that later. Tonight, I am just grateful that Hubs was in the room with me, and we were able to hear our baby's heartbeat for the first time together.

Now, about that nursery furniture ... :)

2 comments:

  1. I love having my doppler - it is such a relief and provides a great deal of reassurance on those days when I am feeling less than confident that all is well!
    So glad you got to hear the heartbeat today with no problems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such an amazing thing to hear your baby's heartbeat. I was so excited when I heard ours beating away for the first time. It's great having a doppler handy to give you peace of mind that everything is ok with your little one.

    ReplyDelete