I am a serious POAS-aholic. Even though I have never seen a positive pregnancy test before 12 DPO, I am always itching to test about a week after ovulation.
After some serious soul-searching, I realized that my desire to test early comes from my need to spend as much time with Baby as possible - since this time is sacred and, sadly, not guaranteed.
While hubby understands these feelings, he is still hesitant to let me test before 12 DPO, mainly because I tend to treat early test results as 98% accurate, thereby prematurely digging myself into a giant pit of depression.
I thought we had come to a compromise when I discovered pregnancy tests at Dollar Tree. I had hubby convinced that, since the tests only cost a dollar, I could test early and often.
Problem: I cannot walk into Dollar Tree and purchase more than two tests. No offense to any of you ladies out there that buy handfuls of tests at a time, but it screams "Crazy Lady!" to me, and while I know my struggles with infertility will more than likely end up driving me to that point, I would like to spend as much time on the "sane" side of the fence as possible.
Which means that, if I want to test every other day (or every day, as it often turns out), we have to make biweekly trips to Dollar Tree. Since hubby passes three different dollar stores on his way to school, this errand tends to fall on his shoulders, thus giving him plenty of opportunity to put a nix on my testing.
This cycle, I decided to purchase a batch of tests off the Net.
Even at just a dollar a pop, pregnancy tests get expensive. By ordering tests online, I will be able to save a nice chunk of change. Also, it will be far more convenient to have a large batch of tests already at my disposal come testing time, rather than having to run to the store every other day to replenish my stock.
Problem: I stumbled across a great deal on pregnancy tests with a sensitivity of 10 miu. (For reference, Dollar Tree tests have a sensitivity of 25 miu.) Dr. Google (via www.fertilitygal.com) report that a pregnant body could be producing 10 miu of hCG as early as 6 DPO. That, of course, means that I *have* to start testing at 6 DPO. Which means that I will be giving up on this cycle when I test at 6 DPO and it shows up negative, which, of course, it will.
I know a test at 6 DPO is likely to give a false reading. I mean, 6 DPO is too early for most women to be experiencing implantation, let alone a BFP. But I will still test. And I will still believe the results. And I will still whine and swear and cry and curse the world. And then I will repeat the cycle at 8 DPO.
(Yes, I know this whole process sounds silly, and I will probably drive you all crazy during my 2ww. Just be glad there is a little X on your screen which grants you freedom from my crazy ramblings; my poor husband has no such escape.)
my fingers are crossed for a BFP for you xx
ReplyDeleteOh I can totally relate!! My hubby lets me indulge :-) I hate going and buying tests in stores - they always have something to say!! I usually buy a few in stores, but get the others online. They are pretty sensitive! Good luck and come on BFP!
ReplyDeleteI completely relate to this.
ReplyDeleteAlso, not that it will change how you view the tests, but I used those 10 miu internet cheapies to test for my current pregnancy. Even with the increased sensitivity, I didn't receive my first positive until 11 dpo, and it was SUPER light....like only crazy women can see it light.
Thanks for the information, Kelly. I will try to keep that in mind when I start testing. That is, if I can ever manage a positive OPK ... CD 16 and still nothing.
ReplyDelete