A few weeks ago, I wrote a long post detailing my resolutions for 2011. I explained how setting goals for a year is not a realistic method for my success, seeing as how I am too impatient (and too easily side-lined) to see long-term goals through to the end.
So this year, the plan was to set monthly goals for myself - at least that was the plan a few weeks back. In my previous post, which may never see the light of day, I came up with a goal for ten of the twelve months.
Problem is I was feeling uncharacteristically optimistic when I wrote that post. As a result, the majority of the months (August - December) had something to do with pregnancy.
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I have returned to my normal state. (Hubby calls me a pessimist; I say I am being realistic.) I can longer pretend that achieving a viable pregnancy is a possibility in 2011, even with the assistance of a fertility specialist.
So I am revising my goals for the new year.
It will be difficult for me to continue toward the end goal after the many disappointments and failures that I will inevitably experience next year; however, 2011's slate is currently clean as a whistle, the possibilities endless, and I am only setting myself up for disappointment if I stain the slate with deadlines for getting pregnant, hearing my baby's heartbeat, etc.
Instead, my goals will be a bit more simplistic:
Resolution #1:
Hubby and I will purchase our first home.
Resolution #1:
Hubby and I will purchase our first home.
This goal made its way from my original post without much revision. Hubby and I have already started putting money away for a down payment and plan to officially start our search once we receive our tax return - probably early March.
(Estimated Date of Completion: June 2011)
Resolution #2:
We will find the right path for our journey to parenthood.
Previously, this meant getting our BFP in August and having a healthy pregnancy. Now I am having a hard time believing that is a possibility for us. I am making this resolution purposely vague so that, as long as we receive answers from the fertility testing, it is achievable. Maybe we will get (and stay) pregnant on our own, maybe we will need a little (or a lot) of assistance from a specialist, maybe we will have to adopt ... regardless, at least narrowing down our options and making steps toward one that is realistic has to be better than where we are now.
(Estimated Date of Completion: December 2011)
Those are great resolutions! I don't blame you at all for being more realistic about things. After going through so much, it's good to prepare yourself for anything (good or bad) that could happen. I really hope this year is much better for you and full of (good) surprises!
ReplyDeleteI consider myself a realist too, and have been accused of being a pessimist. I see nothing wrong with being realistic even when anticipated reality is not farting puppies and rainbows out its unicorn butt. Good luck on the house search and I like your purposefully vague second resolution.
ReplyDeleteAlso, for some reason my blog detects some of your comments as spam. So if you make a comment that you don't see up there, I didn't delete it. Blogger just thinks you're a spammer for some reason. Now I know to check the spam inbox (which I didn't even know existed), but I didn't want you to think I'm hatin' on you or your comments.
Those sound like awesome, realistic goals. Here's to a great 2011!
ReplyDelete