Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Bad News is Good News

Today was my HSG.

(For those of you who do not know, an HSG - or hysterosalpingogram - is an X-ray which allows a doctor to examine the uterus and fallopian tubes. The X-ray reveals uterine abnormalities that could prevent a fertilized egg from implanting, as well as tubal problems such as blockage.)

Honestly, I expected this procedure to be a waste of time and money. It was already abundantly clear to me that I do not have a problem with my tubes. (If my tubes were blocked, it would not be so easy for me to get pregnant.) That, and the fact that none of the ultrasounds I had during the course of my two failed pregnancies revealed anything abnormal, led me to believe that the HSG would come back clear.

It did not ... we think.

My tubes are fine, as expected. However, the doctor spotted something on my uterus. He said it might just be an air bubble, but it could also be a polyp - an abnormal growth of tissue that could impede proper implantation. 

I am scheduled for a saline infusion sonogram tomorrow. This procedure will allow the doctor to determine for sure if what was found during the HSG is a true cause for concern.

I am excited. In a perfect world, there would be no polyp. (Actually, in a perfect world, I would have an adorable four-month-old in my arms.) An X-ray, a sonogram, and a potential surgery to remove any polyps will be expensive. But I refuse to focus on that. (I also refuse to entertain the idea that what the doctor saw today was just an air bubble.) Instead, I continue to remind myself that I want the doctor to find something. I want to fix whatever is causing me to miscarry. 

If this works, there is a very good chance that our next pregnancy will actually result in a baby.

1 comment:

  1. YES!! I totally understand. While it sucks, you have an answer!! I have heard great things about ladies getting a polyp or fibroid removed and then getting pregnant right away!!!

    ReplyDelete