Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

First Meeting with the Fertility Specialist

Hubby and I had our initial consultation with our fertility specialist this afternoon. We spent a good deal of time being talked at by the doctor. (I am sure the conversation would not have been so one-sided if Hubby or I had had any questions, but due to prior research, I was well aware of what the testing process is going to be like.)

After we finished with the RE, I had a quick exam (everything looked 'normal') and then Hubby and I had our blood drawn. (We both did karyotyping, and I had an AMH draw.)

(For those of you who are not in the IF loop, karyotyping is a test to examine chromosomes in a sample of cells, which can help identify genetic problems. The results of the AMH draw will show the doctor what my ovarian reserve - or the size of my remaining egg supply - looks like.)

I doubt anything will come from the tests run today, so a part of me is a little frustrated, but I keep reminding myself that everything we do is another step closer to the goal and eventually it will all be worth it.

The next step: Wait for AF. I have to call the doctor once my period starts to schedule a series of other tests. (My period is due Sunday; from the conversation we had today, as long as my period is regular this month, I should have the next two tests done January 17 - 19.)

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your testing. It's kind of like being stuck in limbo for a bit. Hopefully it all goes fast, and you'll be on your way to a baby very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely feeling the limbo thing. I feel like all I do is wait. And as if the wait for the appointment to come was not long enough, now I have to wait for AF to show so I can schedule the rest of the tests. (Then, of course, it is time to WAIT for test day, then WAIT for the results. Ugh!)

    ReplyDelete