Pages

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Week 24 [To-Do List]

Since Hubby will be spending most of next week in the kitchen making all sorts of yummy treats for Thanksgiving, I figure now would be the perfect time to clean and organize his favorite room in the house.

Week 24 Goals:

- organize kitchen cabinets (for the most part)
   Most of our kitchen cabinets are in good condition, but there are a few that need some serious attention, namely the baby cabinet (I have been shoving bottles and other feeding supplies on a shelf as we acquire them), the spice cabinet (I think some of the canisters are still in the ziploc bag we packed them in when we moved in June), and the cleaning cabinet (otherwise known as the "storage space under the sink").
   The baby cabinet should be easy to organize: line up the bottles; throw any loose pieces in a bin; find a spot to store larger bottles and teething supplies. And done.


Maddie's Shelf

   The spice cabinet will be a bit more difficult. We have a little shelving system that I will try to put to good use, but considering it never worked all that well at our last place, I will probably end up giving up on it.

* 11 / 23 Update *

No real progress made here. I did squeeze our old shelving system onto the bottom shelf, so the cabinet does look better, but it is still lacking functionality. Hubs said it will work for now, but he is planning on adding an actual spice rack to his Christmas list. 

   Organizing the cleaning cabinet should be another easy task. Since Hubs and I spend so little time in that cabinet, I am pretty sure most of the bottles and boxes down there are empty. All I should have to do is throw away the trash and organize the rest. Should take an hour, tops.


Before


After
   
- organize pantry (for the most part)
   When we moved in, Hubs and I just shoved all our dry goods onto a shelf in the pantry, and for the past five months, we have been digging around who-kn0ws-what to get to the things we actually use. It has to stop.
   Step 1: Purchase a set of air-tight canisters so we can finally take the baking goods out of their ziploc bags. (This storage solution made packing a breeze, but it is so hard to find space in our pantry when an entire shelf is covered in little plastic bags of sugars, flours, etc.)
   Step 2: Organize the mess. I was originally thinking of making a breakfast shelf, a lunch shelf, and a dinner shelf, but since most of the ingredients we use to make our lunches are kept in the fridge, I think it would be more effective to have snack, meal, and baking shelves. Either way, the stuff we use all the time is definitely going dead center.
   

Before


After

* 11 / 23  Update *

It probably does not look like I accomplished much in the pantry, but I am seriously loving the new set-up. Everything has a designated place, and Hubs and I have made a real effort to make sure everything finds its way back to its "home" after use.

We are both so happy with how the pantry looks now that we decided to forgo purchasing special canisters and just keep the flours, sugars, etc. in plastic bags. (The bags conform to the available space, are easy to label, and are disposable. All good qualities.)

- purchase fire extinguisher

- fix freezer
   Our freezer leaks. Hubs cannot figure out how to take the drawer off, which is a must if we want to be able to fix the problem, so we just put a towel down and moved on with life. 
   Unfortunately, our "solution" is not working. I noticed the other day that the cabinet next to the fridge is soaking up some of the water, so we really need to get the freezer fixed. Hopefully a quick Google search will provide a how-to on removing the drawer; if not, we are going to have to cave and call a plumber / mechanic.

* 11 / 20 Update *

After a little over an hour (most of which was spent trying to figure out how to access the drain), my amazing, ingenious, Mr. Fix-It of a Hubs has ensured that our freezer is functioning properly! I was seriously so excited to hear running water, followed by Hubby's announcement that it was draining in the right place. (That might sound a little nerdy, but seriously, you cannot blame a girl for being over-the-moon about not having to mop up random leaks every couple of days.)

No comments:

Post a Comment