Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Hit the Ground ... Hard

Hubby and I had my post-op appointment with the RE today. Unfortunately, I do not have good news to share with you guys. 

There was no polyp. After further testing, it turns out that the 'abnormal mass' in my uterus was actually tissue leftover from a previous pregnancy. There is no way to tell from which pregnancy the tissue came, which means that we lost our diagnosis, the definitive answer to our fertility issues, and our reason to hope that any future pregnancies have the ability to end any differently than the two we have already experienced.

We are left two options:

1) More tests. We put a hold on all testing when we found the 'polyp.' Our doctor suggests that we pick up where we left off - with a Serum Progesterone draw and an Endometrial Biopsy. While I see the reasons for the biopsy - if our problem is related to implantation than testing my lining could definitely be beneficial - but I have a hard time giving up an entire cycle for a five-minute scan.

2) Try. Hubby and I had planned to try this coming cycle but that was when we thought things were different. Now we are back at square one, and the idea of trying again on our own, without any hope, is scary.

Hubby and I have spent the majority of the afternoon trying to figure out which path to take. Our decision: a little of each. We have decided to go ahead and try. Since I will doing OPKs in order to time intercourse, I will call when I get a surge and go in to check my Progesterone level. As for the biopsy, the paperwork from my RE says that I should not have the test done if pregnancy is a possibility. (While the biopsy is not known to cause miscarriages, my doctor does not want to take any chances.) Luckily, my RE likes to perform the procedure late in the cycle, as in two to three days before AF arrives. At that point, I should already know if our efforts to conceive paid off. (With my last pregnancy, I got my BFP four days before AF.) We will test the day before the scheduled biopsy, and if we get a BFN, we will go through with the test. If we get our BFP, we will call the doctor and change the nature of our appointment.

39(ish) days until the next step is decided ...

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you didn't get great news, but made a great decision. Did you do a D&C with your miscarriages or miscarry naturally? That is crazy that something could still be there leftover. I feel like having anything in your uterus could impair implantation though, not just a polyp. Did your RE say anything about that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have a D&C with either of the miscarriages.

    The RE agreed that anything 'unnatural' in my uterus could impair implantation. The problem is, we don't know where this tissue came from. If it is from the second pregnancy, it doesn't explain why we lost our babies. If it is leftover from our first pregnancy, it might be the reason for our second miscarriage, but why the first?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I'm sorry for the bad news. I hope this is THE answer to your problems and it can be resolved! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete