Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

I'm Angry

Warning: This vent refers to an on-going problem with my RE's billing office. If you want to catch up on our previous altercation before continuing with this post, you can read the back-story here.]

I checked the mail, thinking this cycle's OPKs would arrive today. They did not (which is fine; I still have a couple of weeks before I need to start testing). Instead, I received a bill from my RE's office. Due to a previous mix-up with my insurance benefits and a few medical codes, I was fully expecting to hear from my RE's billing office soon. I was, however, expecting our next exchange to come in the form of a small refund. (I have given $1148 to my RE over the past few months, even though my deductible is only $1000.) For whatever reason, today's letter was almost an exact copy of the bill they sent me last time. Meaning, my RE still wants another $700.

I just sat down and did the math again. After consulting all of the paperwork from my insurance claims and all of the receipts from payments I have made to my RE's office, it turns out that I was wrong. Not wrong: "I owe you another $700," but wrong: "You owe me $600!"

After consulting my insurance benefits, I realized that my plan comes with a $500 "Coverage First" option. Meaning Humana pays the first $500 (minus co-pays and out-of-network charges). It is not until after I have hit that $500 mark that I have to pay anyone anything. Of course, my RE's office has been billing me based on the wrong insurance benefits from Day 1 (asking me to pay based on my infertility coverage, when all the tests thus-far have been coded as diagnostic testing). So, after doing the math, I realized that my RE's office should have received $500 from my insurance and only $521 from me - that is $627 less than what I have given them to date!

Boy, is my RE's office going to get it when they open Monday morning!

1 comment:

  1. ARG!! How frustrating! And I'm sorry AF showed for you :-( Wishing you the best this cycle!

    ReplyDelete