Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

House Hiccups

We still do not have the ceilings fans back. (I do not know if I have posted about it here, but the Seller took the ceiling fans when he vacated the property. We have spent the past month arguing with him via his agent. The Seller wants us to use our escrow money, which is supposed to go towards our closing costs, to purchase fans. Obviously we did not agree to this, as the fans are in the contract, so the responsibility to ensure that the fans are in our possession by closing rests entirely on the Seller.) After spending the entire weekend trying to get in touch with the Seller directly without any luck, Hubs e-mailed the Seller's agent and made it clear that we have already gone above and beyond our responsibility in this, we have been far more understanding than necessary, and we are not afraid to take the Seller to civil court in order to get back what is legally ours. Hopefully that serves as a sufficient kick in the ass; while we are willing to go to court over this, it would be far easier and less stressful if we can avoid it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We had the house inspected yesterday. The inspector noticed a few minor issues - nothing that will cost too much to fix - so we are officially moving forward with the purchase. Hubs has been handling all correspondence with our mortgage broker, but from what I can gather, we are just waiting on two things: an official closing date and a letter from Sallie Mae stating Hubby's student loans are currently deferred. Hopefully the letter comes in the mail on Monday, so we are in a position to call and put some pressure on the Seller's agent to get this thing done. (We know that one of the Bank's involved put a July 30 deadline on their approval, so the Seller's agent is going to be getting it from both ends.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We had to return to the condo today to do a final inspection. Hubs and I left the place in great condition, so we expected to get our entire $800 security deposit back without argument. Boy, were we wrong! I am not kidding you, Ursula (our evil wench of a property manager) wanted to charge us to have the floors clean - even after Hubs rented a steam cleaner to clean the carpets - because she found a couple pieces of lint in the corner of one of the bedrooms. When she mentioned to us, I made a snide comment to Hubs about how there had been three pieces of fuzz, so I went ahead and picked them up. Ursula was all like, "Oh, then no problem," but she never edited the inspection sheet, so I am pretty sure she is still going to try to take money for that. She also told us that she was going to charge us to have an exterminator come in because she found a roach in the bathroom. I went ballistic. I very roughly reminded her that I had been trying to get her to get an exterminator out for months without prevail. She kept saying that I had told her not to worry about it, that we had it under control, which is complete and utter bull. When I did not give in to that line of reasoning, she fell back on the claim that it states in our lease that we are responsible for pest control. I asked her why she had never mentioned that during the months I was trying to get her to get someone out to handle the issue. Later, I consulted our lease, and it says nothing about us being responsible for pest control. Right now, I am hoping Ursula is telling the truth when she says the Owner is very amiable and will probably not claim any of our deposit. However, if I get word that she wants to file a claim, you bet your butt I will be going above Ursula's head and filing a complaint with both her boss and Florida Realtors. (You should know that, if I am willing to go this far, this is not the only problem we have had with Ursula.) I guess only time will tell on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment