Today's sonogram showed a perfect, healthy baby!
We arrived at the doctor's office a little early. I sat in a corner, desperately clinging to Donald,* while I counted the number of obviously pregnant women that came through the door.
* A good friend gave me a baby Donald Duck stuffed animal / rattle a few years back. I have been obsessed with Donald since I was a little girl. (My first word was actually "Da-Duck.") For the past week or so, I have spent the majority of my time cuddled up on the couch with Donald. When I realized how much comfort this little toy provided during my early days of "morning" sickness, I decided that he must also be present for the ultrasound.
Within fifteen minutes, I was called back. I immediately saw something in my uterus. (After my last pregnancy ended in a blighted ovum, this was definitely a much appreciated sight.)
The tech moved away from my uterus pretty quickly. (Apparently the first thing on her checklist is to measure my cervix.) I looked over at my husband and asked aloud if he had seen what I had seen. Before he could respond, the tech said "Yup, there is a baby with a heartbeat." My head snapped back in her direction. I could not believe it. Had she really seen Baby's heartbeat in the .2 seconds it was on the screen before she moved away?
I immediately started crying so hard I was shaking the d-cam. I had to take a second to collect myself so the tech could focus.
When she focused back on Baby, I saw the little flicker right away. The tech said her machine was too powerful to use on such a young fetus, so we were not able to hear the heartbeat. She said we can try a little later in my pregnancy.
She did get a good measurement putting Baby's heart rate at 146 BPM.
Another measurement showed Baby with a CRL (crown to rump length) of 1.13 cm. Apparently that means Baby is actually 2-3 days ahead of our EDD. I will find out at next week's appointment if the doctor wants to adjust my due date.
Until then, I will just sit here and rub my tummy while I stare at Baby's first pictures.



I am so excited for you!! :)
ReplyDeleteHooray - what good news!
ReplyDeleteThis makes me so very happy! And it's incredible how every baby is different :) Mine was just 4 days further along than this and they are so different! But the only important thing is we both have HEALTHY babies!!!! I love it!
ReplyDeleteI am so happy for you, I could cry!! Yay for wonderful news! Congrats!!
ReplyDelete@Jessica - I have a retroverted uterus, which might explain why are babies look so different right now.
ReplyDelete